Thursday, January 17, 2008

Slow News Day

Whenever my brother and sister-in-law visit from Phoenix, they love to watch and read local news. Although they both grew up in Iowa, they've lived in a big city for enough time that stories about jaywalking and the upcoming Cattle Congress interest them. (And by "interest them" I mean they make fun and say that nothing ever happens in Iowa.)

Well, I would argue that CNN isn't so different from The Waterloo Courier. To demonstrate, here are a few of CNN's top headlines at the moment:

"Five things not to do in the ER"
"I-Reporter catches possible UFO on tape"
"Oh no! Is it Splitsville for Spider-Man and MJ?"
"Dog falls off cliff, gets trapped on ledge"

I'm sure there are a lot of things that could be said about how the media has evolved with the Internet, how headlines like these say something about Americans' interests, and so on, but I'll leave it at this: In my next life, I want to be a headline-writer for CNN.

No comments: