Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Win a Date with Barack Obama

Have you heard of this? Apparently, if you donate to the Obama campaign this week, you'll be entered into a drawing, and you could win dinner with the man himself. (The Man, on the other hand, has other dinner plans, and you're not invited.)

Anyway, I'm the kind of Obama supporter who gets caught sighing in admiration when I think no one's listening (true story). Clearly, I would love to dash off to . . . wherever for a day and eat . . . whatever with Obama and a few others. I could tell him why I support his stance on cats' suffrage (firmly against!), and we could laugh about how snide and silly all those Republican debates were.

And yet, there's something that struck me a little odd about the dinner drawing at first. It's creative, smart, and bound to bring in some bucks. It merits one of those aforementioned sighs of admiration. But isn't it a little like that time Scarlett Johansson auctioned herself off for a date? I've resolved my initial confusion and now think the dinner is a great idea overall, but it reminds me how double-edged Obama's campaign can seem at times. People I know have accused him of having hubris. I don't agree (although I also don't think you run for president without substantial ego). But there's this weird way in which making himself more accessible enhances Obama's celebrity, which opens him to charges of being inaccessible. Does that make any sense? Anyway, if my 32-year streak of not winning contests comes to an end and I get picked, I'll be ordering wine, dessert, and a jumbo order of hot wings.

On a completely different topic, I'm in a funk about NPR's "Vocal Impressions." It sounds like it should be a good idea, and I hate that I hate it. Am I such a snob that I don't think the NPR-listening public should be trusted with metaphor? Is calling Christopher Walken's voice "[a] zombie playing a living person in a B-movie" good and I'm just not hearing it? (By the way, I'm not claiming I could do better. Also, side note: zombies are so, so great.) Anyway, this is causing me great mental turmoil.

(Above: AP photo of Barack Obama. In case you didn't know what he looks like.)

5 comments:

Nicole Jackson said...

Just wow.

Lordlokipv said...

Do you ever wonder Barack Obama has not originality what ever Hilary does first Obama tries to do it better,,, have anyone Notice that,,, Hilary for a long time,, been doing this date with her and Elton John,,,,, Now Obama doing the samething, Even in the debates Hilary got all the hard question and Obama just said I agree with Hilary this is All documented,,, Does any find this strange,, Or is it more double standard,

Anonymous said...

I second that: Just wow.

I also want to second your thoughts on that NPR feature. "Oh so clever" meets so so so so so bad. It's the radio version of the Atlantic's "Word Fugitive" column, I think.

TJ said...

When did the comma become the stand-in for ellipses?

Congrats on your first troll.

TJ said...

Also: Zombies can't speak. Duh. That's part of what makes them awesome.